Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where aborted babies go?!?

In case you're wondering where aborted fetuses go after their untimely demise, check out the Baptist Headquarters across from the Capitol. The Baptists have built a big, glass house filled with a penny for every baby that's been suctioned out in Mississippi! On a side note, does anyone besides me think it's funny that the Baptists built a GLASS HOUSE?!? But that's another blog...

Anyhoo, Can-Can and I were running errands today when she asked me if I'd seen the "aborted baby penny house". I certainly had not, so she kindly offered to drive me by. If you haven't yet seen this Jackson landmark go immediately before some hungry homeless person breaks the house and buys happy meals with the aborted babies, oops, I mean representative, symbolic pennies.

Now, I'll give them credit. At least they didn't fill up an abandoned lot with white wooden crosses. But, then again, downtown real estate is at a premium, so I guess they needed something with a small footprint. I know that they want to shock and amaze the public with the sheer number of abortions in Mississippi, but why pennies? To me, that says the Baptists think aborted babies are worth one cent each. Who's upset about a penny? I throw pennies away for gosh sakes!

Anyway, enough of you are probably already horrified that I've made fun of the Baptists and abortions and pennies. I just think of things like this when I return from vacations to other places that don't have um, unusual religious and legal protests such as this one. It's just this type of thing that gives Mississippi it's reputation for, well, being crazy! And, yes, that's me throwing the first stone. I can do so because I don't live in a GLASS HOUSE! Penny for your thoughts!

15 comments:

Rachel said...

were you not PROUD of my investigative reporting!

Jennifer Carter said...

Just my two cents (no pun intended)... that is kind of odd. Thank you for reporting on this because I have never heard of it. They could be saying that (some) people throw them away like pennies so they are trying to make a statement??!! But the signifigance of a glass house? I'm not sure.

BB said...

glad you mentioned this. i used to work in the bldg right across from this weird landmark. while they were constructing it, we would stand there looking at it wondering how a hobo would scale it and get inside. penny baths for the homeless...sorry, i shouldn't be so cold, huh? i agree, it is very odd.

Truvie said...

Oh no! The homeless can't bathe in the metal babies! That wouldn't be right! Wouldn't be right at all!!!

From the Doghouse said...

The glass house question is easy. If it weren't glass, you couldn't see how many pennies (babies) are inside of it.

Truvie said...

Oh! Yeah, I know! I was really just joking about the glass, although I meant it as a play on "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I just think it's a little ironic!

Truvie said...

Hmmm... only 7 taco boxes today? Note to self- lots of readers must be Baptist! Or, coin collectors! Or, glass lovers! Stick to less controversial subjects!

Priscilla said...

You caught me...... I am a Coin Collector!

Truvie said...

I always suspected!

Jennifer Carter said...

I know more people are reading because I chat with them daily about the articles. They just need encouragement! Or maybe they aren't as bold as us!?

Truvie said...

Shrinking violets?

AM said...

that's about as effective as forking someone's yard, it may be fun at the time...but it's gonna be a mess to clean up!

Truvie said...

Good point- I hadn't even thought of that! Who's going to roll all those pennies? I mean, you can't exactly take them to Coinstar in Kroger!

AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Truvie said...

She can't spend the copper babies on Basil's!!! It's sacreligious!