Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A REALLY sad funeral!

This week a man who used to be a friend of Dr. Baby's died. I say "used to" because they hadn't spoken in 2 years and Dr. B said that he'd never talk to him again. And, now he'll never have the chance to. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but the general consensus was that this guy was, well, an asshole.

So, I've been thinking, and this isn't terribly original... what if I just dropped dead? What would people say about me? Because honestly, when people die usually all anyone can say is what a loving, wonderful, kind, etc. person they were. Yeah, ummm, that's not so much the case here.

I wonder if this guy thought, "What the Hell! I'm 32. Yeah, I'm kind of a dick, but I've got the rest of my life to make it up to the people I've screwed." Or, what if he really had changed for the better, but his friends were too burned out to give him one last chance. They might have missed an awesome year with their old friend. It's kind of crunky and depressing when you think about it.

I know that at your own funeral you're dead and all so it shouldn't matter, but I hope to God that's never me! I hope people are lined up out the doorways, weeping and wailing. Oh! And, no casual clothing, please! Sorry if you feel the sting of recognition, but it's beyond tacky when people can't dress up for the funeral home! Ooops! See, that's just the type of bitchy comment that subtracts one person from the big send off! Gotta work on that!

I know this is a bit cliche, but you just never know when you might get called Upstairs (or DOWNSTAIRS, yikes!!!). I'm going to ease up a little. Try to remember that today could be it for me. Don't be so sarcastic. Be more sensitive! Gotta fill those pews at First Methodist- I'd absolutely DIE if I had a poor turn-out at my funeral!

So, hug your babies. Kiss your husband. Give your sister back the belt you stole and lied about 8 years ago. Send the Baptists a penny. :) You may never get another chance to make a last impression!

10 comments:

BB said...

DG used to write all over my papers in keyboarding class (my freshman year) and make me cry because he sat behind me and picked on me ALL the time...you know i went to HS with him, right? anywho...he was a grade-A butthead most of the time, BUT he did share a bottle of REALLY expensive tequilla straight from mexico with me one time at oxford. it was quite tasty. i drank half the bottle...

i hate that Dr. Baby and Mr. Rofarto didn't get to say their goodbyes, but sometimes the memories are better left untouched...right?

i will be at your furrnerel dressed in my best pair of black knee high boots, cotton brown guachos, and my Charlie's Angel t-shirt. i will be accompanied with my box wine and a carton of smokes. there will be NOTHING but story telling and laughter.

no wait...i won't be at your furrnerel in my outfit b/c i would have died next to you in a really bad car wreck coming back from clubbing... :)

you ain't going NO WHERES anytime soon...put down the wine, heffa!

loves...xoxoxoxoxo

Truvie said...

Your outfit is officially approved, just in case we don't all go together... which is a real possibility! :) MLYLT
P.s. My opinion of DG has just risen a notch or two... there's gotta be good in a person who shares fine tequila!

Priscilla said...

Do you know that I really did not want to shave my legs this morning...and I thought: "Loverly, because that's what I call myself, Loverly, What if you died in a firey crash today? People would think you was a hairy unkempt ol' bitty?" So I shaved my legs.......BTW- Me would miss you long time!

Truvie said...

Loverly, I'm tearing! We are kindred souls, I believe. No matter how tired, always keep the legs and goodies trimmed up. As a surgery nurse, we do look at that stuff when people come in and firery crashes or not, there's just NO excuse for the jungle to run rampant! MLYLT!

Rachel said...

i NEVER wear black to a funeral...usually something bright and cheery. dunno why?
i would share all of the wonderful stories about you frances...and have the place rolling...then i would go home and cry for about a year...sniff.
or...like rani said...it will be a group thing...don't know how our husbands would feel about that...

Truvie said...

Can-can- your clothing is approved.
Besides, I'm not saying I think I'M going to die, it's just that any one of us could go anytime. Be prepared. Like the boy scouts, but without the molestation and all.

Rachel said...

scouts honor (i am holding up my fingers!)

Truvie said...

Which one, specifically?

AM said...

"I hate funerals. They make me have to pee."-Aidan

I'm not a big fan either, so just don't die.

Truvie said...

LOL! I'm not planning on it, but this weather may push me over the edge!