Friday, October 26, 2007

Another crappy, I mean HAPPY, divorce situation...

So, this Sunday we have to go to Columbia and watch my son get baptised. The thing is, he was already baptised. I'm Methodist. We baptise people as babies; it's not christening. Baptise. It's the only time it's done if you're born into the church. My ex was Methodist when we were married, but has since reverted to his Baptist roots. Hence, the need for what he so tactfully referred to as "Troy's REAL baptism."
Why is this irritating me so badly?!? I mean, theoretically, it's probably a safe bet to be baptised as many times as possible, just to cover all the bases! But, it just seems like the religion that is important to me and to OUR family is being railroaded. I have had some of negative experiences with the Baptist church, but I don't go around telling the children that the Methodist way of doing things is "better". 2 Sundays a month they go to a Baptist church and 2 Sundays a month they go to a Methodist church. I just want them to know that I'm glad that they're IN church every Sunday. Any church. Well, maybe not Unitarian or Scientology, but you know what I mean!
I'm not sure Mr. Ex is being quite as fair minded. When I was discussing this with Troy, I told him that he had already been baptised as a baby, but should totally go for it at his Dad's church if he wanted to. He then proceeded to tell me that baby's can't be baptised. He also said that just "sprinkling" water on your head isn't enough. You have to be "dunked". His exact words were, "They do it exactly like Jesus did it". Hmmm... I was SO tempted to say, "Oh yes! Jesus baptised scads of people in a chlorinated, heated, tiled bathtub at the front of a pink and rose temperature controlled room with the tackiest stained glass I've ever seen and TV cameras rolling all the while. Yes! That's EXACTLY how Jesus did it!" But, I refrained. Divorce teaches you nothing if not how to bite your tongue.
So, this Sunday, there I'll be. Smiling. Quietly proud. Fuming on the inside. I'm trying to just let it go and enjoy the day, but I think it may be a struggle. "Just pretend he's going swimming," said the ever helpful Dr. Baby. Yes... I think that's what I'll do! After all, he always swims in a white choir robe with a gold belt. Just like Jesus...

10 comments:

AM said...

oh no...no, no, no....there's nothing worse that confusing a child b/c it'll make them question things even more (like me)...

Truvie said...

I know! That's why I guess I'll just suck it up... AGAIN!!! Oh well! So they'll be Baptists. It could be worse! I mean, they could be like, Satan worshipers, or something. Look on the bright side!

BB said...

ha!! chlorinated water...you are killin' me!!!! :) hahahahaha...

yeah, i was baptised SEVERAL times (my mother's idea...guess i was too bad of a child and needed lots of saving...anywhoo) and the last time (i was in high school), the preacher dropped me and let go of my nose. i thought i was going to drown!!! the robe only weighs you down. LOL!

good luck, and i will be thinking about you! MLYLT! xoxo

Truvie said...

Thanks! If they drown my baby in that hot tub, I'm going bitchcakes taco box!

BB said...

ha! don't forget to put the infamous tacobox in your purse, truvie! :P can't wait to read the blog next week! hehe

Truvie said...

It will be interesting, to say the least!

Rachel said...

we have the same stuff in our church that you do...so i understand!
but frances...come on...you don't ever swim in a white robe?

Truvie said...

Hee, hee! Not really, although once or twice I have jumped in with my gold belt on!

From the Doghouse said...

What about the important part: What does your son think?

Truvie said...

He wanted to do it, so I'm all for it if that's the case... there was lots of drama at the event. Will fill y'all in soon!