Monday, November 26, 2007

Scrooge

When I decided to become a nurse, I had fantasies of grateful, smiling patients meekly following orders and willingly accepting treatments. When I saw myself in these daydreams, I had a chic ponytail, natural yet glow-y make-up, and spotless white uniform. Never, never did I imagine the horrors that awaited me.

I have worked for 3 different surgery centers. At each, the uniforms grew more horrid than the last. Whoever designs scrubs must also make kindergarten bulletin board materials! I have had jackets with dancing elephants, smiling toothbrushes, large animated numerals, but never the likes of what was "gifted" to our staff this year. We "girls" were given reindeer jackets with ATTACHED reindeer tails on the back and fabric surgical caps with ANTLERS sewn on! I am not joking!

When I announced that it would be a cold day in H-E-double hockey sticks before I'd wear that get-up, I was called a "scrooge". Well, so what?!? If being a scrooge means having a shred of dignity, then I suppose I'll be one. I was already wearing the singing butterfly jacket of Monday and you know... enough is ENOUGH! If you don't take a stand, well, the next thing you know it's pantyhose with Teeva sandals and jeans that come up to your nipples!

My reindeer jacket is being (sadly) returned. My boss says she is ordering me a Dr. Seuss scrooge jacket instead. Go ahead, I told her. I would not, could not wear that sh*t! I would, I should, I'd rather QUIT! So, next time your job seems bleak, at least be thankful that you aren't attired in a tap dancing doggy jacket with a Precious Moments cap on your head!

Merry F-ing Christmas, everyone!

15 comments:

BB said...

ROTFLMAO!!!

Rachel said...

OMG...
you should wear it. then i could take your picture...and hang it on my fridge...and have constant smiles in my heart!

Truvie said...

By "smiles in your heart" did you mean "merciless, unrelenting laughter and boundless ridicule"? Cause that's what it sounds like to me! :)
And, if you didn't understand that.... hell-to-the-no!

AM said...

Sounds like one of those light up Christmas sweaters. I don't care what Rudy Huxtable's friends were wearing...I was not wearing that crapp. C'mon people. But I'm not one for dressing up for Halloween either.....

Truvie said...

So, I won't be seeing you in a jingle sweater this holiday season?

BB said...

i've got my santa hat ready to go!!! :)

AM said...

Let's just put it this way,I couldn't be a teacher (my highschool algebra teacher in particular).

BB said...

awww, come on, girls! EVERYONE wants a pta mama sweater...dang! :)

From the Doghouse said...

Don't worry, I got dirty looks from people when we had venison roast for Christmas dinner one year, and I told people it was Rudolph, who had gotten hung up on our roof ...

Rub said...

Get in the spirit! I just ordered a huge box of Reindeer condoms to give myself for Christmas. Merry Christmas ladies! Here I cum! LOL :)

From the Doghouse said...

I think the obligatory "Ho, Ho, Ho" comment is supposed to go here.

Truvie said...

Hmmmm... or how about "the polar EXPRESS..."

Rub said...

nothing express here... LOL

Truvie said...

Just make sure that your "Rudolph" doesn't have anything red on the end of it! Just sayin...

Priscilla said...

Thia scares and scars me....this is what I am working towards? Geez......