Monday, November 12, 2007

Little White Lies

So, I recently read this incredible book and it touches on a point that really got me thinking... how many times a day do you lie? You probably think that it's not THAT many times, I know I did. But I wondered, what if I kept a list like the guy in the book and kept track of EXACTLY how many lies I told in one day? The rules are: you start counting from the moment you wake up until the moment you fall asleep. You must count EVERY lie- no matter how small or insignificant it may be. No lying about how many lies you tell. Sounds simple, right? It's not. Here are a few excerpts from my "list":

6:45am- lied to the children. Told them that I'd made blueberry muffins for breakfast because there were no cinnamon rolls. I really just WANTED blueberry muffins. I could've told the truth on this one, but honestly, didn't want to hear whining and be "mean mommy" before seven o'clock.

7:00am- lied to the children again. Said that if they didn't finish breakfast in the next 3 minutes, we'd be late for school. That's not necessarily true. I just wanted them to hurry up. I could've just TOLD them what to do instead of lying about WHY they should move faster.

8:30am- lied to work. Told them I couldn't grab coffee on my way in because I'd already passed Starbucks. Just didn't want to take every one's order and then pay for it all and then run around all morning trying to get paid back. Plus, hate trying to balance 9 steaming hot cups of coffee, latte, etc.

9:50am- lied to patients. Told them they'd only have to wait "a few more minutes". Knew this to be untrue before I even uttered the words. We were already 35 minutes behind schedule and there were 2 people ahead of them. Told this particular lie 9 more times, by the way. I feel these lies don't count because the patients KNOW you're lying to them, but I'm adhering to the rules. Besides, no one wants to be told that yes, you will be waiting for a LOT longer.

10:40am- lied AGAIN! Said I had just eaten at Newk's and therefore wanted to order lunch from somewhere different. The truth is, I wanted Basil's, but I didn't want to be the one to suggest Basil's since that's the only place I ever want to order from. I know, I know.

3:00pm- again, with the lying. Told the Fraternal Order of Police that I'd already spent my charitable giving budget. Not true. Just don't plan on giving any of it to them. Why didn't I just say "NO"?!?

3:45pm- Realize that I'm ending phone conversations with the phrase "See you later" when, in fact, I'm not planning to see the person for days.

4:50pm- lied to MYSELF!!! Said, "Oh, I'll vacuum the rug tomorrow" when I know I'll most probably put it off for at LEAST another couple of days! It's getting ridiculous.

7:30pm- surprised? Told Dr. B that my back hurts so he'll rub it. It kinda aches, so that one barely counts!

9:30pm- reprised the earlier lie, but for different reasons this time... :)

So, as you can see, there is work to be done! I don't think that I'm telling pathologically harmful lies, but it's lying all the same. I'm going to work on it. Well, no, see I lied again! I probably won't work on it. I'll just continue telling little white lies to keep the sailing smooth. See?!? That's one of the most truthful things I've said all day! Whoo-hoo! It's helping already!

18 comments:

Supermom said...

This is a very thought provoking post. I need to be more aware of the seemingly small lies I tell all to often.

Wait...there I go lying again.

Rachel said...

so all of those time that you said my outfit was cute or that you were glad we were friends...

hhhhmmm...

AM said...

watch out...NOT lying gets you in trouble too. Truth be told...people don't want to know when their outfit is not cute...so they just don't ask me. hmmm

BB said...

do you really like my hair? :) j/k

Truvie said...

Agree with you there, Al! People DON'T want to know the truth sometimes, that's why I'm sanctioning white lies as ok!

Supermom, at least you're honest about being dishonest. That's my spin, too! :)

And Ra-ra, don't be a doof! I am honest 'bout the biggies! Oh! And that includes the Bachleor rules, BTW! Study your friendship regulation manual!

Rachel said...

truvie...
i do not like your rules or the manual. therefore, i will not be taking any test in the near future. and i am not a doof, you are the one that lied about muffins and coffee. you just are feeling guilty and have to project those bad feelings on me by calling me names.

i see your games, sista.
love you :)

BB said...

i need a current copy, truvie!!! ha! :P

Priscilla said...

The first step is admitting it....Although I am not personally ready to do so at this point.....But I do love you Truvie! Mean it. (No Lie!)

From the Doghouse said...

And yet, in the post below this one, you busted someone's chops for being honest!

"Wanna have sex?" Sounds honest to me!

Truvie said...

Hmmm... good point! I'm not big on consistancy, as you may have oticed!

BB- I LOVE your hair (no lie) :)

Rorie- I LOVE you (no lie) :)

Truvie said...

And, Can-Can, so sorry for projecting my muffin induced negativity onto you! Thank you sooo much for helping me see the error of my ways! :)

P.s. Manual is available for pick-up between the hours of 9-5!

AM said...

well, I need a manual, HOW TO LIE? or White Lies are O-kay....cause I'm about to go get kicked out the school AGAIN today! (wish me luck.) I'm taking that heffa DOWN!

Truvie said...

You're going to get detention if you don't watch it!

AM said...

Wheeww! She wasn't there. Wouldn't want my daughter gettin' kicked out of school year 1....we got a long way to go!

Truvie said...

So glad- would hate to read about you in the paper: "Local woman goes bitchcakes on school office workers!" :)

Anonymous said...

Well those school office workers are something else...not once have they ever asked me for my I.D. I think I am going to call someone about that or maybe the next time I go to check her out and they don't ask for it I might just say something then. I mean the other day this man walked in an said he needed to pick up this little boy for check out and they asked him who he was and he said the uncle..did they ask for his I.D. NO!! Did they look on the check out slip to see if he was on it?? NO!! They handed him the the sighn out list for the class and that was it!! It really unnerved me...so essentialy [sic] someone can watch my daughter for weeks learn her name and where she goes to school and then check her out with no question!!! I don't like that AT ALL!!!

Anonymous said...

Well those school office workers are something else...not once have they ever asked me for my I.D. I think I am going to call someone about that or maybe the next time I go to check her out and they don't ask for it I might just say something then. I mean the other day this man walked in an said he needed to pick up this little boy for check out and they asked him who he was and he said the uncle..did they ask for his I.D. NO!! Did they look on the check out slip to see if he was on it?? NO!! They handed him the the sighn out list for the class and that was it!! It really unnerved me...so essentialy [sic] someone can watch my daughter for weeks learn her name and where she goes to school and then check her out with no question!!! I don't like that AT ALL!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and when someone walk into the office and your on a personal call...GET OFF THE PHONE!!!!