Friday, November 30, 2007

The best concert EVER!!!

Back in the day, I attended many a concert! U2, The Rolling Stones, Britney Spears (yes, I know...), James Taylor, Buffet, Luda- the list is varied and long. Just as much fun were the smaller, more local shows- Black Betty and I danced our asses off on stage with Afroman- but, all of these concerts had one tiny thing in common that helped make them so fantastic. At each, I was more than a little tipsy! At some, I may have even been chemically altered.... but that's another blog. In short, I think we can all agree that when the bourbon really gets flowing the band, whatever band, ROCKS!

That's why I had the shock of my life Thursday night. Most of you heard that Macy and I scored tickets to Hannah Montanna in Memphis. For those of you not in the know, this was a pretty tough feat to accomplish in the first place. The show had been sold out since FOREVER and the tickets were crazy expensive, but I decided it would be worth it since Macy spends hours locked in her room wearing a Hannah Montanna wig and belting out the songs. So, after weeks of waiting it was FINALLY time. I won't attempt to describe the scene outside the forum. Just imagine Beatle Mania times 100 and you'll get an idea. Suffice to say that if the military put terrorists in an arena full of 8,000 "tweens" shrieking for 3 hours at fever pitch, the war might take a whole different direction!

When seven o'clock finally rolled around, the Jonas Brothers (or "JoBros" if you're cool) kicked off the show. They were received like the obligatory salad before dinner. Good, but get on with it already! By the time they had finished 45 minutes later the crowd was chanting constantly, "Hannah! Hannah!" If they weren't attractive, billionaire teen-agers, I would've almost felt bad for them. Anyway, FINALLY! Hannah Montanna! Up until this point, the other mothers sitting around us and I had been talking and giggling amongst ourselves at how silly it all was. But, honestly, when Hannah descended to the stage in a light box, dancing, and exploded out of it, I almost cried. Don't get me wrong, she's a great performer, but it was the look on Macy's face that totally got me! I can't really describe it, but it's the feeling that you get at Disney World while watching the fireworks with your kids for the first time. It's knowing that you're witnessing one of the best moments of their little life, something they'll remember for a LONG time.

Laugh if you will, but it was the best concert I've ever been to! I've danced the whole show through before many times, but never like this. Without even one drink I was so high! And it wasn't just me. All the mommies and daughters were dancing in the aisles, waving overpriced glowsticks and singing along. If you would've told me a few years ago that I'd have the time of my life at a CHILDREN'S concert, I'd have laughed hysterically! And that, in and of itself, is worth ALOT more that the $300 dollars I had to burn on the tickets. Uggggh! I guess I'm finally retiring my getting-pulled-up-on-stage-and-grinding-with-friends-while-pounding-shots self and becoming acquainted with my sleepy-at-ten-o'clock-but-loving-watching-Macy-dance-on-a-chair-while-shrieking self. Every generation has to pass that torch sometime, and you know what? It's not as bad as I thought it might be!

Don't TOTALLY count me out yet, though. As Hannah herself sings, "Lets go, GNO" (girls night out)... I love my girlfriends, but they've got a long way to go before they top the night my number one girl and I had Thursday! We can still try, though, we can still try... :)

Y'all have a GREAT week! I'm on vacation til next Friday, December 7th! See you back then!

9 comments:

BB said...

i just teared up (the wine helped with that a little). :) that's awesome! i completely agree with you. nothing tops watching your child happy and their eyes twinkling. i'm SO glad you had fun.

i hope you have an awesome trip! MLYLT!

p.s. afroman with you has to be my fav-o-rite. ;)

Truvie said...

I know! Had to give Mace the #1 spot, but Afro did ROCK! Nothing like grinding on somebody you'd normally cross the street to avoid! Love you bunches! Muah!

Supermom said...

That was an awesome blog entry!!

Have a great vacation.

Truvie said...

Thanks! I'm counting the minutes!

Priscilla said...

:::warm fuzzies:::

From the Doghouse said...

Glad things went so well! Couldn't be happier for you.

And there's still hope on my end; I may have lost in Mannah Montana, but I just found out about a Hannah MOMtana contest! Guess who's getting dressed up now! She can't get out of it either, since I did it!

Christy said...

That is so awesome you took her. I agree the best feeling in the world is giving your children memories that willlast a life time! My Mom and I camped out for NKOTB tickets!! It was great! I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

You're a great mom :)

From the Doghouse said...

Hope you and yours have a very merry Christmas!

From the Doghouse said...

We've got tickets!