Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Not the same old thing...

Okay, so if you want to do something fun and different with your kids this Friday night, you should take them to the Mississippi Orchestra at Thalia Mara Hall! Seriously! The performance is going to be based on great action movie theme songs. They're doing Superman, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones and others. For all you red-blooded Americans who can't imagine sitting on your ass for two hours WITHOUT a looking at a screen with moving pictures, there WILL be accompanying video clips! See! You won't be bored!

Dr. B and I have long since discovered the joys of symphony going. It's fascinating, for one. Second, you sound sophisticated when someone asks what you did with your weekend. Saying, "I drank beer and sat around watching the hubby play X-box while flipping through Life and Style magazine" just doesn't conjure the same image as "We went to the symphony"! Beyond the "snob" factor, your kids may well be amazed that the music blaring out of their i-pod headphones originates from real, live human beings! Well, most music anyway...

If your kids are too little to tag along, this is a great intro to the symphony for ALL the musical virgins out there. It won't be too serious or intense. Plus, for our male readers... planning a "date night" to the symphony is WAY better than a "date night" to Papa John's and Blockbuster. And, it won't cost you any more! (Read- more "wifely duty" for the same amount of dough!) Adult seats are 15.oo (30.00 for the really close seats) and 5.00 for kids no matter which section you're seated in. It starts at 7:30, get there early if you need to buy tickets. (obviously!)

So, hope to see you there! I mean, honestly, when was the last time you did something different with your weekend?!?

14 comments:

BB said...

sounds like a blast. i wish we didn't have the diva. the symphony is always fun. hope you have a great date! :)

BB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

they used to do a similar performance for JPS. we got to go twice a year! seth and i usually go to alot of stuff like that...we should meet up there some time!

Truvie said...

Def! The kids are like "boooring", but they'll like it once we get there.... I hope! If not, mean Mommy will just ahve to tell them to hush up!

From the Doghouse said...

I'm probably going to be dressed up like Hannah Montana on Friday night.

Truvie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Truvie said...

Hmmm, will this be AT the symphony or are you doing the Bossier City concert? If it's for the symphony, I will introduce myself as I'm sure you'll be EASY to spot! :) If it's the concert, I feel your pain! I'll be dressed as Hannah myself on the 29th! Uugh!

AM said...

do they have a problem with people singing along? cause AMH will bust out in song!

Truvie said...

I think it's pretty kid friendly! I'm sure Dr. B will tear up when they play the Star Wars theme! Or, stand and salute or something...

Rub said...

I dig some classical pops. I listen to the classical station on Sirius all the time when I am not listening to the death metal station.

Truvie said...

You are a very interesting person, Rubs! An unusual mix of interests... classical and metal, Pamela and God, tacos and biscuits, the list goes on...

From the Doghouse said...

Neither, Truvie; I'll be trying to win tickets and airfare for an HM concert for my little girl!

Now I need to find an outfit and learn her songs so I can "perform."

Truvie said...

May I suggest "Girls Night" or "Pop Princess", two of my very favorites. :) Good luck! Tickets NOW, where I sold my soul for the Memphis show IS slowly dropping prices, just in case you don't win! However, I have faith! Keep me posted!

AM said...

I wouldn't think they would cost that much since the lawsuit and all.