Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Sixth Grade Dance

OK- so, I'm officially old! The sixth grade dance is coming up and a certain little boy is going. It's a costume Halloween dance and he is dressing like a penguin. I tried to no avail to steer him towards a "cooler" costume, but he insists. So, penguin it is. At least I know that once I zip him into this huge, padded suit, no slutty little girl dressed like a Bratz doll will be able to molest him!

Anyway, so here's the big dilemma. Do you ask a "date" (as most of his friends have done) or not? The little girl that he likes mother and I had a big conversation about this very topic. She feels that her little princess is too young to go on a date. I'm in total agreement! Sixth graders are still little children (case in point, wanting to dress like your favorite animal, the penguin) and have no business thinking about dating. But, here's the thing. All of their friends are asking "dates". Now, the boys (and boys ONLY) are meeting for McDonald's beforehand and then a few of the mothers are taking them to the dance. A few of the other mothers (including your's truly) will be dropping them back off at home when it's over at 8:30- yes, that's right. They'll be staying out until 8:30!

So, I don't see the harm in asking a "date". It's really in name only. No one's riding together in the same car, no one's going to eat together before or afterward, the only time they'll even see each other is at the dance, and honestly, they probably won't even stand on the same sides of the room! However, this mother is adamant. She wanted ME to tell Troy to not ask Princess! Well, I asked, how will Princess feel if Troy decides to ask someone else? Oh no! She doesn't want THAT! She just doesn't want them to officially "go" to the dance "together". Isn't that sort of a moot point?

I breached the subject with Troy this weekend, and he's now torn. He wants to "ask" Princess, but can't because he doesn't want to make her mother angry. He wants a "date" like everyone else, so he's thinking about "asking" someone else. However, he really likes Princess and doesn't want to hurt her feelings! Should I call the mother (who I think is being a tad overprotective) and try to work something out? Tell him to just go without an official "date"? Lock him in his room for the next 10 years? Help!!!

17 comments:

Rachel said...

call the mom and explain...
poor troy is already have female problems!

Truvie said...

I know! And this in only sixth grade!

Anonymous said...

I think he should tell princess mommy dearest said she did not want him asking her. I mean if the mother does not want her to go to a freaking dance then the mother should tell the little princess herself not allow her to think he just did not want to go with her..and there are adults at this dance and adults taking them and picking them up so it really isn't a date..I mean goodnees sakes..My mom was the most overprotective Church Of God woman you have ever met and she still let us go to dances at school (not that I ever went cause I was socially retarded). Hmm thats a tough one

Truvie said...

Good point! Mommy should be the bad guy, not Troy!

Anonymous said...

That mother sounds life a control freak. I mean if your the parent why not say "Ok you are not going to the dance with a boy". She is being all sneaky about it and trying to keep her hands clean of it. Oh God I can see her being a Mother-in-law from hell!! haha

Truvie said...

I know! Oh God! If by some strange chance he married Princess, I'd DIE!!! I just think that Mommy Dearest needs a little perspective here! But, I'm a liberal parent, so I'm glad to see that other people feel the same way!

AM said...

My mom didn't want me going on said "date" in 8th grade. We couldn't ride in the same car together or take pics together...I was humiliated telling him he couldn't be in pics with me....I mean, he didn't understand. Oh well! I can't half blame her now that I have a girl of my own...but still very awkward.

AM said...

My mom didn't want me going on said "date" in 8th grade. We couldn't ride in the same car together or take pics together...I was humiliated telling him he couldn't be in pics with me....I mean, he didn't understand. Oh well! I can't half blame her now that I have a girl of my own...but still very awkward.

AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Truvie said...

Third times the charm! :) Well, I have a daughter, too, but there's a line between protecting and humiliating! What an awkward position to be in!

BB said...

i say he should ask her. if he isn't riding with her and will only be in contact with her at the dance everything should be fine!

Truvie said...

That's what I think, too. I sent her an e-mail this afternoon and am waiting to hear back!

Anonymous said...

Keep me posted..heehee

Truvie said...

Got an e-mail this morning from Mommy! She said that she stands firm- Princess can't go on "dates". Told her that I didn't know what Troy would do, but that he probably would ask someone else and that SHE'D be the one to explain why. She said OK- I personally think that that's just mean, but oh well! Troy probably needs to move away from that crazy family, anyway!

AM said...

I know it often helped for me if the guy asked my mom...afterall it's not the girls fault..I feel for her! BUT it's not Troy's fault either...Mommie Dearest, wake up! really. Aidan's already got boys chasing around kissing her...what am I going to do, ring their necks? I mean, really.

Anonymous said...

It's just kid stuff...I remember chasing boys and all that jazz...I just think the mom ought to lay the rules down to her daughter instead of being smeaky about it..would save on a lot trouble for everyone involved.

Truvie said...

That was my whole issue- don't try and sneak around so she's not mad at YOU- you're the mother! Act like it! Don't dump how you want her to behave on me or my CHILD!